online graduate programs

Subject: online graduate programs
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:17:00 -0400

I am planning to start grad school in January 2002 (the spring semester),
and I was quite convinced I wanted to apply to the online graduate program
in technical writing offered by Utah State University. However, when I
contacted Sandi Harner, one of my college professors, to ask if she would
write a letter of recommendation, she suggested I also look into Texas
Tech's online program. She spoke very highly of Texas Tech's program and
said that she wasn't as familiar with USU's, although she did say that USU's
was "very good."

I looked at Texas Tech's web site for their online degree program, and the
one thing that concerned me was that some of the online discussions are
synchronous. I'm not sure how well that would work for me and my schedule.
According to USU's web site, their online discussion is entirely
asynchronous, which would be great for my schedule.

Have any of you taken online classes through either of these programs? What
did you think? What did you especially like or dislike? And what was the
deciding factor when you made your decision about which online program to
do?

I am still leaning toward USU's program, but I do respect my professor's
knowledge and her opinions, so I'm investigating Texas Tech's program before
making a final decision.

Please reply to me off-list. I'll pass on any responses to anyone who would
like a summary.

Thanks,

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.