Re: The Engineer's Iron Ring (Was RE: Business cards)

Subject: Re: The Engineer's Iron Ring (Was RE: Business cards)
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:31:03 -0600

> Subject: Re: The Engineer's Iron Ring (Was RE: Business cards)
> From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:20:47 -0700

> Another tidbit about the engineer's ring:

> According to one Canadian engineer I used to know, the ring was
> originally made from metal taken from a bridge that had collapsed in
> Quebec. This was done to impress on new engineers the importance of
> their work, and the possible consequences of shoddy work.

I'd heard about the bridge in Quebec, though whether any iron from the
bridge was ever used to make engineers' iron rings or not is open to
debate.

Still, the bridge does make a nice bit of lore, and perhaps adds a bit
more mystique to the tradition of the iron ring.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.