RE: Big Brother is watching?

Subject: RE: Big Brother is watching?
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:47:59 -0400

What do we do, avoid using e-mail and browsers at all costs? Michael's
advice seems to be sound except for the possibility that he could be giving
false assurance that we just need to be careful. Any suggestions for the
honest folks?

On the other hand, if you are misusing resources, then you have every right
to be afraid of getting caught and punished.

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 1:15 PM
> To: TECHWR-L
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Big Brother is watching?
>

> Michael Oboryshko wrote:
> >
> > In the end though, just make sure your business emails
> > and surfing are beyond reproach.
>
> Excuse me for saying so, but this comment sounds like part of
> the North
> American middle-class myth that, if you haven't done anything
> wrong, you
> don't need to worry. And that is a myth, both in the anthropological
> sense and in the popular sense of being untrue.
>
> Any management that closely monitors employees' e-mail does
> so expecting
> that it will find suspicious material. Since most people
> react far more
> to their expectations than to what is actually observable, the chances
> are that it will find what it is looking for. If it has to twist
> comments, or take them out of context to justify its expectations, it
> will have no trouble doing so.
>
> --
> Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering/Star Cutter Company

231-264-5661 voice
231-264-5663 fax

Work johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
Personal thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net