Re: Seeking advice on English MA

Subject: Re: Seeking advice on English MA
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:15:02 -0700

Scott Holstad wrote:

> <snip>
>
> That said, however, advanced degrees tend to tell me two things: (1) the person is capable of independent research, and (2) the person is capable of communicating the results of that independent research in sufficiently clear form to pass scrutiny by a thesis review committee. And that has some valuable to me and my firm.

[snip]

> I only write this because I think your anti-English bias is wrong and your assumption that students in other disciplines with advanced degrees can automatically communicate "sufficiently" is faulty.

You can't even assume that people with advanced English degrees can
write.

I'm not just thinking of people who write jargon, either (although I'd
question that they could be said to be able to write, at least in any
way that would be meaningful in business). Many universities now include
a no-thesis option for MAs in English. This option is intended for
people such as school teachers who want an advanced degree, but don't
have the time or the inclination to write a thesis. Instead, they take
extra graduate courses. So, it's highly possible that you got find an
English MA who had no experience in writing anything longer than about
25 pages.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Rose bouquet, wedding band,
Their recipe for romance might have come out of a can."
- The Mollies, "I Don't Wanna Go to Bed"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.