Re: Stereotyping? This doesn't bode well for audience analysis...

Subject: Re: Stereotyping? This doesn't bode well for audience analysis...
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:03:55 -0500

The ongoing diss-cussion <g> about English majors and military types,
combined with previous discussions of Myers-Briggs personality types and
related topics, disturbs me more than a little. If we're this cavalier with
our stereotypes about our own profession, I have to wonder just how good a
job we collectively do of analyzing the audiences we write for, and thus
meeting their needs. Judging by many of the manuals and help systems I
grapple with, I think we really need to get past this knee-jerk
oversimplification and start thinking a bit more deeply about the danger of
stereotypes.

You mean that my user audience is not made up of people with exactly two brain cells? One to breath in, and one to breath out?

No, you're right. I was confusing common sense with intelligence. A very big difference. Common sense will often keep one out of trouble.

You can tell that my store of common sense must be rather low at the moment, or I wouldn't have sent this.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com