RE: Sysadmins who write

Subject: RE: Sysadmins who write
From: "Dia Blankenship" <dia -at- teknolutionary -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:19:52 -0400

> This brings to mind something that I've been seeing a lot recently. My
> husband is looking for work in the sysadmin line, and I've
> noticed that many
> of the ads (about 75% in this town) list technical writing along with
> sysadmin-type skills in the requirements.
>
> Now, I never spent a lot of time perusing this type of ad, so I
> have no idea
> if this is a recent development or the-way-things-have-always been; I'm
> curious to hear from the other listmembers on the subject.

Actually, I think this is a trend across the tech industry. People are
starting to demand that all breeds of techies be able to communicate,
something that never seemed to be much of a concern before. I can remember
going in for development job interviews and, when I responded to their
question about my biggest strength with the idea that I was an effective
communicator as well as a techie, my comment was met with mostly blank
stares. Now you see 'excellent communication skills' listed in lots of
techie job requirements. I gotta say, though, that given my experience,
it's another group delusion run amuck...

-D

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.