Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...

* WORK WANTED: Multidisciplined Technical Writer (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Single-Source Strategy - XML, Content Mgt, Web Delivery
* JOB: SENIOR INFORMATION DEVELOPER - Markham, Ontario
* TOOLS: ps2vector for scalable and editable illustrations
* ANNOUNCE: Call for Proposals for InterChange 2001
* ANNOUNCE: Scriptorium Schedule: Frame, WebWorks, tech writing
* ANNOUNCE: SnagIt & Camtasia to capture, edit, present
* ANNOUNCE: INDEXING SKILLS WORKSHOPS FOR TECHNICAL COMMUNICATORS

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

WORK WANTED: Multidisciplined Technical Writer

So what can you get for twenty bucks an hour?
Documentation that gets to the point, detailing that sharpens it,
and consultation that finds and hones the hidden edges.
Content that kicks and sticks with tested, all-weather traction.
All the time and attention your projects deserve...and better
service than you'd expect at twice this rate.
Access to a talented, undervalued support team in fields ranging
from WAP/WML to Delphi, Flash, graphics, Java and audio.
A 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you're not happy, you don't pay.

My name is Cub Lea. I'm a seven-year documentation pro with solid
credentials, silver-plated references, and over 50 firsts, bests
and onlies in online documentation dating back to 1995. $20/hr. on
a $100 minimum billing is not a special deal...it's a standing
offer to cover your value losses from my Canadian location and a
handicap that prevents me from working onsite. From spot editing
and cleanup to complete project management, I'm willing to do what
it takes to prove that my services rate as one of the best
price/performance investments you'll find in online documentation.

Online: http://www.cublea.com Contact: cublea -at- radiant -dot- net

4/18/01-4/25/01

ANNOUNCE: Single-Source Strategy for XML, Content Mgt, Web Delivery

Developing a Single-Source Strategy for XML Authoring, Content
Management, and Dynamic Web Delivery

Hosts: JoAnn Hackos of Comtech Services and XyEnterprise
Event: Joint single-sourcing seminar
Where: XyEnterprise headquarters in Boston, MA
When: May 22, 23 & 24, 2001

http://www.usabledesign.com/01seminars/01xy.htm

During the three-day program, you will
* examine the benefits of single sourcing
* progress through the ten-step methodology
* work in the lab on a hands-on project
* meet with Comtech and XyEnterprise staff members

You'll get the benefits of the full single-sourcing workshop
along with the opportunity to try out a sample project using the
XyEnterprise Content -at- XML authoring tool. You'll use the computer
laboratory with access to an XML editor, the content repository,
and the publishing (output) system. You'll create components,
assign metadata to them, and build compound documents.

Cost
$2000 for one person attending from a company
$1800 each for two or more people attending from the same company
$1700 for one person attending from a CIDM member department
$1500 each for two or more people attending from the same CIDM
member department

Register online at
http://www.usabledesign.com/03register/03register.htm

4/14/01-4/21/01

JOB: SENIOR INFORMATION DEVELOPER - Markham, Ontario

PLATFORM is a fast growing software development company.
We are looking for people to contribute in our product development.

-You will participate and contribute in the review and approval
of design documents (Functional Specs and High-Level Designs).
-Use design documents as well as interview software engineers
(internal and external) to obtain information
-Provide feedback and suggestions on product features and useability
-Prepare information plans, define audience, purpose and schedules
-Research, write, edit, index and format deliverables
-Review and approve deliverables to ensure technical and editorial
quality and consistency of style and presentation
-Test and solicit input to ensure the technical accuracy, clarity,
completeness, and quality of your deliverables.

REQUIREMENTS:
- 4-6 years experience developing technical content with at least
3+ years working in a software development environment
- Strong working knowledge of UNIX and Windows platforms
- Working knowledge of current information delivery techniques:
Web authoring, Demo and tutorial creation, XML and Online help

EMAIL YOUR RESUME TO: Platform -at- rpc -dot- webhire -dot- com OR VISIT US AT
www.platform.com

4/13/01-4/20/01

TOOLS: ps2vector for scalable and editable illustrations

CAD designs, wiring diagrams, schematics, maps, charts & graphs...

ps2vector brings graphics from any engineering/design application
into your corporate documentation and publishing tools as:

- MIF for FrameMaker
- CGM for SGML and technical (web) publishing
- WMF/EMF for MS Word, PowerPoint and Flash
- SVG for XML/HTML web applications

Edit text and objects, scale, rotate... And enjoy sharp quality
wherever your graphics are displayed, zoomed or printed.

Just let your engineers and illustrators print their designs to
PostScript files or save them as EPS, and use ps2vector to batch
convert them to the formats listed above. It's that simple.

Forget about bitmap image problems such as jaggy/blurry display
or print, transparency, resizing, size/quality trade-offs and
compression methods. They're a waste of time AND quality!

ps2vector lets you retain and utilize the vector intelligence
that all technical drawings start out with, via the reliable
universal PostScript language and a versatile conversion suite.
Available for Windows platforms, Sun Solaris, HP-UX and IBM AIX.

Try it today! Simply send some sample PostScript graphics to
testfile -at- square1 -dot- nl, or visit http://www.square1.nl/index.htm

4/12/01-4/19/01
University of Massachusetts Boston and the Northern New
England and Boston chapters of the Society for Technical
Communication.

Experienced professionals are invited to submit proposals for
conference sessions. We welcome new and relevant research.
We encourage sessions on advanced topics, especially innovative
technology.

Presenters do not pay a registration fee for the day of their
presentation. They do pay the regular fee to attend on the other
day. Lunch is included. There is an additional $25 walk-in
registration fee.

For more information, go to http://www.interchangeconference.com.

4/12/01-4/19/01

ANNOUNCE: Scriptorium Schedule: Frame, WebWorks, tech writing

Scriptorium Publishing announces the summer schedule for intensive,
hands-on FrameMaker, WebWorks Publisher, and technical writing classes.
For course outlines and registration details, see
www.scriptorium.com/training/. Please note classes in our new BOISE, IDAHO
training center, plus our online class, as well as in our original center
in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.

Classes in RTP, NORTH CAROLINA
Technical Writing 101: July 25-27
Accelerated Introduction to FrameMaker: May 30-June1 and September 12-14
Introduction to WebWorks Publisher: May 21-22
Advanced WebWorks Publisher: August 23-24

Classes in BOISE, IDAHO
Technical Writing 101: April 25-27
Advanced FrameMaker: June 4-5 and September 10-11
Introduction to WebWorks Publisher: June 6-7

ONLINE Classes
Advanced WebWorks Publisher Online: June 11-20

FOR MORE INFORMATION please see www.scriptorium.com/training/, or contact
us at training -at- scriptorium -dot- com -dot-

4/10/01-4/17/01

ANNOUNCE: SnagIt & Camtasia to capture, edit, present

TechSmith's SnagIt and Camtasia software give you the power to
capture and edit anything you see on your PC screen, plus your
narration, and present it to anyone, anywhere! You won't find better
tools for creating effective training, tutorials, demos and more in
industry standard AVI and streaming media formats.

Visit our web site to learn more and download FREE trial versions
of SnagIt and Camtasia. http://www.techsmith.com/twr

4/1/01-6/31/01

ANNOUNCE: Upcoming INDEXING SKILLS WORKSHOPS FOR TECHNICAL COMMUNICATORS
presented by Lori Lathrop

The one-day workshop is for writers and editors who need to create usable
indexes for either printed or online documents. Writers will learn to
apply several productivity tips and techniques in indexing technical
documentation.

DATES AND LOCATIONS:

April 6 - Greensboro, NC
April 20 - Denver, CO
May 25 - Newark, NJ

To request a brochure for any of these workshops, contact
LoriLathrop -at- compuserve -dot- com (http://www.indexingskills.com) or call
704-531-0021.

"An index is as important to your documentation as your documentation is
to the product." (Lori Lathrop)

Lori Lathrop is a Past President of the American Society of Indexers (ASI)
and a Senior Member of the Society for Technical Communication (STC). The
second edition of her book, An Indexer's Guide to the Internet, was
published by Information Today Inc. in 1999, and she is currently writing
Indexing Skills for Technical Communicators, which is based on the
workshops she delivers to corporate clients throughout North America.

3/29/01-4/30/01

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 4900 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, is now available and can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 4900+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.