Advice needed: client problem?

Subject: Advice needed: client problem?
From: Laura -dot- Praderio -at- Level3 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:55:05 -0600

hello,

sorry you had such a bad experience with a lazy client. one of my first tech
writing contracts was with a similar character. would i ghostwrite (?word) a
chapter on the history of oceanography...blah...blah...blah. i sent along
drafts for review, never got any "usable" comments back; at the end he
deemed it unacceptable. to make a sad contract story short...i confronted
the guy (at the local post office when i ran into him later) and told him he
never did his part of the review and forced him to pay me the money he owed
me. he agreed he slacked and paid. i did work at that business for another 3
years so apparently few feather were ruffled. the one lesson i learned was
that if i submit a draft for review and get no "usable" commentary, then i
stop the work then and there with a nice email or note expressing why.
editorial costs at the final stages of the publications process can be
logarithmic and i think it's due to too much work or too few bodies to help
or just laziness.

advice: stop the process until you get what you need to be successful at
your work. my extremely successful sister once gave me a nugget of advice,
then apologized for it being so simplistic: if you want to be successful,
then put yourself in a situation to be successful!

best regards,
laura praderio

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.