RE: On The Bench

Subject: RE: On The Bench
From: "MM Deaton" <mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:29:04 -0700

Where do I get a job where there is down time? :-)

Mary Deaton
Deaton Information Design
New jobs page at: http://www.mmdeaton.com

jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote

Robin Willard asked "Please share what TYPES of writing "projects" you
create for yourself when on the bench."

One of the things I like to do with the folks in my writing group is to
identify one or more projects for them to work on over a longer period of
time than a single release. I work with them to identify something that:

a) interests them
b) improves their knowledge of our application
c) provides a benefit to customers or internal people

When we start to think about this, the results are often fantastic. The
result is that I have people who have a substantial background task to work
on that they want to do and that will help themselves and others. Whether
it's working up an extremely complicated and realistic set of examples that
show all the things you could do with some data in our application, or
creating a set of role-based views of our product, or researching and
documenting the rather esoteric strategic values and uses of our
application, the benefits will be very worthwhile.

It allows us to identify and deliver some of the things we normally would
not be able to do in the normal course of development.

And it doesn't seem like "makework" stuff since they are involved in
figuring out what the tasks are.

John

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.