Re: Stupid tasks (was Re: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND)

Subject: Re: Stupid tasks (was Re: NEED HELP..PLEASE RESPOND)
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:17:33 -0700

I was the _only_ woman in the entire technical office of about 15 people. We
were sitting down to a project meeting. The project manager turned to the
group and said "Do we need coffee?" Nods from several people. Turn to me and
said "Sharon, can you make some for us?" Like I was the only one in the room
capable and I could easily miss part of the meeting. I was not standing, or
otherwise making myself stick out. I was not sitting closest to the coffee
machine. I did not nod my head. There was NO reason to assume that I should
make the coffee over the programmers. All of us were equally capable of
coffee making activities.

That makes it unacceptable. And the person probably did not realize the
unconscious assumption. But I was never asked again. In this case, the best
solution I saw was compliance and sabotage. But I was younger then and had
more energy...

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org