Re: Text on Slides in Technical Communication presentation

Subject: Re: Text on Slides in Technical Communication presentation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:52:30 -0700

"Peter Shea (USF)" wrote:

> While I know PowerPoint, I am unaccustomed to thinking about slide
> content. Aside from suggesting that the doctors keep their bulleted lists
> to a minimum, I don't know what else to suggest.

Maybe this is just a personal peeve, but I'd suggest that people think
twice about trying to illustrate abstract concepts with diagrams. In
many cases, the effort is strained, and doesn't add any real insight,
yet presenters feel compelled to make it.

Also, it might not hurt to comment about the relation between the slides
and the presentations. You'd be doing the world in general a favor if
you could convince even a few presenters that their presentation should
be more than a reading of their slides.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Rose bouquet, wedding band,
Their recipe for romance might have come out of a can."
- The Mollies, "I Don't Wanna Go to Bed"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.