RE: Initial Caps & Title Caps...What's the Diff?

Subject: RE: Initial Caps & Title Caps...What's the Diff?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:10:52 +0100

Lynne Jaynes asks: >>I've seen these terms used in the MS Manual of Style to
define how a term is capitalized. I've check that reference for a definition
(as well as Webster's and Chicago Manual of Style), but to no avail. These
terms seem
interchangeable. Can anyone tell me a distinguishing feature?<<

I would say that "initial caps" can refer to one word or several, but always
means "capitalise the first letter of the word or words referred to".

OTOH, "title caps" means that all the words of a title/header (with the
possible exception of words like a, is, & and) must be in "initial caps". Of
course a title can have one word or several.

Does this help?

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.