Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question (Certification)

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question (Certification)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:58:39 -0700

Glenn Maxey wrote:

> Certification is used to exclude.

Yes, it can be. But whether that exclusion is good or bad depends on
where you sit. If you're on the outside, trying to get in, it can be
frustrating. On the other hand, if you're already certified,
certification is a way of keeping wages high and protecting your own
chances of employment.

In theory, at least, certification can also guarantee a certain level of
competence among practioners of a trade or profession, and ease the
hiring process.

It would be simplistic to say that certification would be an unmixed
blessing. The question is whether the situation it creates is better or
worse than what we have now.

On that question, I sit resolutely on the fence (no doubt getting piles
as a result).

The only qualification I'd make to that statement is that I am
resolutely against any form of certification administered by the STC.
Based on that organization's past performance, I suspect that such a
situation could only lead to disaster. Fortunately, based on the STC's
past performance, I also believe that the group is incapable of
organizing to that extent, even within its own ranks.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Up your swords, and out your guns,
And to the rogues again!"
- Jacobite Toast

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.