RE: What the heck is an "Internet tester"?

Subject: RE: What the heck is an "Internet tester"?
From: Kat Nagel <kat_nagel -at- rte -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:34:50 -0400

I've been doing a bit of that, lately. From my experience, it can be either
fascinating or deadly dull, depending on how the test plan is designed.

Basically, it involves testing every feature of a web site. Usually, it is
highly programmed, with every click being planned in advance with the
expected outcome defined in gory detail. The tester just pages through a
script, or monitors an automated testing program that records clicks and
response times. Dull, dull, dull.

The free-form tests are much more fun. I've been set loose in an e-learning
portal and told to poke around pretending to be a customer. I've taken
courses for free, commented on content and usability, and generally made a
nuisance of myself by trying every option in logical and illogical order,
just to see what would happen. Then, I write it up with suggestions for
fixing the problems I find.

K@ Kat Nagel kat_nagel -at- rte -dot- com
"Most technical writers make their living describing
the smile on the face of a black cat in a dark room
in a house that might be built next week."
~anonymous techwriter at lunch, STC/Seattle 1996