Re: Tech writing to Marcom: Help

Subject: Re: Tech writing to Marcom: Help
From: "Keith Cronin" <kcronin -at- DALEEN -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:10:00 -0700

Many tech writers have an extremely negative prejudice toward marketing
writing (or at least towards marketing in general, a point of view which
for some may be well-earned). But a TW who can overcome those preconceived
notions and approach the job sincerely can be a remarkably effective
writer. And in doing so, you can possibly increase your job security!

As you may have encountered, it's not uncommon for marketing staff to be
rather non-technical. Your own technical expertise can allow you to shine
in this area, IF you avoid putting out a "superior" vibe that could
alienate your less-technical team members.

So the big question is this: How do you approach writing in what is
presumably a radically different style? For me it's simple: you're not
going to take anything AWAY from your writing; you're going to ADD to it.
You're already accustomed to telling your reader HOW something works, and
depending on the style of documentation you've been producing, you may
also be in the habit of telling them WHY it works. Now, in addition, you
need to tell them WHY THIS IS A GOOD THING.

In a previous TW job I had, we had to produce quarterly release notes,
documenting enhancements and bug fixes. One of the key elements we were
called on to include was the BENEFIT of the enhancement. The formula was
"What's new? How does it work? Why would I want this?" I found I enjoyed
this style of writing, and have used this model with great success in my
marketing writing (I currently create sales proposals for a software
developer).

It IS possible to write marketing literature with SUBSTANCE, while still
promoting the product. Just because the marketing department may have been
satisfied with "marketing fluff" in the past doesn't mean they would be
opposed to more substantial writing. You'll have to judge for yourself
just how deep or fluffy your team wants you to write, but that's the same
as any writing job - you need to know who your audience is (and who your
boss is), and how to satisfy their needs most appropriately.

Keep an open mind, and you could do well. And you'll have another bullet
on the resume...

Good luck!

-Keith

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.