Tech writing to Marcom: Help? (Addendum)

Subject: Tech writing to Marcom: Help? (Addendum)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:23:41 -0400

After posting my previous comments, I realized I forgot one rather important
point. From all I've heard, the world of Marketing is a far more political
one than the innocent, sheltered, warm and fuzzy world of techwhirling. <g>
I'd be interested in hearing confirmation or contradictions from those who
have firsthand experience in such environments; here, we have no formal
marketing group, and do our marketing ad hoc, so my perceptions are
second-hand and thus likely to be exaggerated.

If what I've heard is correct, I'd advise Jane to spend some time treading
very carefully indeed until she learns who holds the real power, who reports
to whom, whom the various individuals in the new group like and dislike and
fight with and have alliances with, and so on. I don't foresee anything as
unabashedly over the top as the portrayal of "suits" in the early scenes of
the movie "RoboCop", but an unusual level of diplomacy and tact might
nonetheless be advisable while starting out.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

Tarzan's rule of data processing: Never let go of
one vine until you have a solid hold of the next.--Anon.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.