Making them read the documentation

Subject: Making them read the documentation
From: "S Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- lycos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:58:52 -0700

I've searched the archives on this, but have not found a satisfactory answer. And, perhaps it needs discussing again.

The question: how do you get those darn users to read your beautiful technical documentation?

In my company, not only our users, but our installation people fail to refer to the manual. I set it up to be either read, or quickly referred to. But still, our installation people repeatedly ask engineering the most basic questions - ones that are answered easily in the manual. For whatever reason, no one wants to read it.

Maybe it's the format (in a binder--also offered online as PDF). Maybe they're just lazy. All I know is, I can't seem to relate to them because I personally read manuals and instructions when I have equipment that I need to know how to operate.

I know you will all have different ideas for me, that's what I love about this list, especially since I have trouble separating myself from the problem.

This ties in with a bigger question: if they're not reading it, why is it (or me) necessary? Can the answer be only that documentation is necessary for those few people who actually do read the manual?

Thanks
Sierra Godfrey

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.