RE: Making them read the documentation -- "alliterates"??

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation -- "alliterates"??
From: michelle -dot- black -at- sickkids -dot- ca
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:57:14 -0400

David wrote:
Being alliterate is not a dirty word. Neither, in my world, is being
illiterate. I suppose it would be more polite to refer to this subset of
users or people as "people who prefer not to read." Labels can be more than
one word long. So it is not PC to talk about this?

David,

Thanks for the clarification about the word. I did misconstrue your meaning
because I've never heard the word "alliterate" used before, except as in
reference to alliteration in poetry. So I thought you meant il-. And given my
earlier protests, I'm not one to criticize spelling. ~;->

I also believe in the ability to speak your mind--using PC terms or not. To me
the whole political correctness thing only serves to suppress dialogue and thus
hinder true learning and growth. So yes, it's PC to talk about these
things--that's why we're here.

However, my original protest to my *original* understanding of your message
still stands. The reason it's not PC to use the word illiterate is that it is
more often understood to be an insult rather than an objective statement of
someone's ability to read.

I'm done (promise).

Michelle

David,