RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:16:27 EDT

Lately I have been thinking about this important issue just raised by S
Godfrey [mailto:kittenbreath -at- lycos -dot- com] -dot-

I agree with Jane Carnall <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com> that we as a
class are poor user models because we like to read documentation. (I consider
people who refuse as people I hold a significant competitive advantage over.
They're the ones who start out saying "I never read manuals" and end up
looking over my shoulder saying "I didn't know it did that!") But we must
consider our audience, not ourselves 8^)

Tasks can be classified according to frequency of repetition. Common,
everyday tasks, while they need to be documented and trained on, won't be
read about. To use Microsoft Word as a common base of experience, no one
needs to read the manual for a refresher on opening a file, inserting text,
and saving the change.

On the other hand, uncommon tasks usually aren't included in training, but
should be in the documentation, and need to be read up on. How many people
know how in Word to change the color of revised text? It's an uncommon task.

The installers may think they're doing everyday tasks and thus don't need the
manuals; the problem is that by inspection it's obvious they're wrong
(because they're calling to ask questions). Surveys consistently show that
people are more comfortable asking colleagues for help than calling Tech
Support or reading manuals.

Access to the documentation can be a problem. You may have Word on your
system, but do you have the Word manual? Lots of companies have site licenses
for Office, but only one copy of the manuals. Do your manuals actually get
into the hands of your customers? Ours sometimes don't, and that's a problem
too. But we've noticed that our users aren't even fully aware that we have
Help files, so PDF isn't the answer 8^(

Our goal should be to provide documentation that can reduce the number of
support calls. (I know that bucks the polls, but as my colleague says,
manuals don't draw a salary 8^) I endorse the idea of asking Tech Support to
make a show of looking up the answer in the manual for the customer, even if
you offer free support. I also suggest that you try to get feedback from them
on what questions *aren't* answered by the manual.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")

Lightbridge, Inc., 67 S. Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA

mailto:Jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902[V], 781.359.4500[F]

Home Sweet Homepage: http://hometown.aol.com/SteveFJong

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.