RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:23:40 -0400

I write very good help modules -- undoubtedly because I write them for systems I created and developed, and thus knew all the tricks, functions, intended uses, etc. On one occasion, a VP bought me a beautiful large framed picture for my office, because she was so grateful for something I'd written. (The intended user loathed computers, and bitterly resented having to use one for her work. However, once I made it plain to her that it was to be *her* system, designed to make things easier for *her*, and that *her* input was very welcome, she became extremely enthusiastic, even dragging people in from other departments to proudly show them her wonderful new system.)

My one and only problem has been with people who brag that they never read any form of documentation or directions (and with a boss who didn't have the guts to stand up and tell them to do so before bothering his staff).

The best suggestion for that was the one to eat lots of garlic before going there, and make darned sure I faced them whenever I talked. The only problem with that is that, with my luck, the CEO would have wanted help that day, and I'd have found myself breathing on *HIM*. (Even in the offsite back office, the CFO worked there, and I wouldn't really have wanted to do that to him, either.) Too bad :(

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com