Re: Opening PDF/WORD With????

Subject: Re: Opening PDF/WORD With????
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

Look at what David Brown posted in response to your
post. To restate and elaborate on David's post, you
need just two things:
-- A normal href to the document. (Looks just like a
path to an html document, except the file's extension
is .pdf or .doc instead of .htm )

-- Any USER of your web page will need to have the
software installed that is meant to open that kind of
file.

So, let's say you have an Acrobat file stored in your
web, and your web page provides a link to that file.
If the user comes to your page with, say, Internet
Explorer, and if they ALSO have Acrobat, then IE and
Acrobat will work together together to open the
document for the user right in the IE browser window.

If the user does NOT have Acrobat, then they will just
get that "Download File" dialog box, and they can
choose to save the file to their hard drive. They'll
have to go hunting for a free copy of Acrobat to read
it. The burden falls on the user to have the proper
reader for non-html files.

This is why you'll see links to a Acrobat download
site on some web pages that provide .pdf files - as a
courtesy to the user.

--- Worzel Gummidge <worzel_gummidge -at- lycos -dot- com> wrote:
> All:
>
> Can someone provide me with a code sample (not sure
> if its HTML or Javascript) that opens a PDF/Word
> from a browser (I.E. or Navigator?)so that it
> initiates in Acrobat or Word.

=====
Joy Beer
Technical Writer