RE: gearing up to be a tech writer

Subject: RE: gearing up to be a tech writer
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:27:39 -0500

Phil Gomez said: (Off the record, if you get a job and they force
you to work in Word, I'd
quit and find another. Some would say I'm biased; I think I'm just
spoiled. :)

No matter how tongue in cheek this comment may be, I don't think
it's good advice to be giving out to people thinking of joining the
profession. I don't have any gripes about framemaker etc but I've been using
Word for ten years and it is a very useful tool. As has been said before
work within its limitations and remember that it is primarily a word
processor. I would be the first to admit it has its faults and has annoyed
me very badly at times, but to say someone shouldn't take a job because the
company uses Word is a bit silly.
Mick

Then you would have little problem with a company that wanted to do all of its graphics work in Paint?
Tools are important. If the reason for using a tool is because it is the standard in the company, and to make IT life easier, then that company has problems that will overflow into other aspects of work. Look at the overall environment, how they do things, and why they do things. That will give you a better evaluation of the work environment.

If you have the luxury of being able to choose, then you can choose to work where you want. If you need the money now, you don't necessarily have the ability to choose.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com