Re: Convert files from PDF to Word - Please help urgently

Subject: Re: Convert files from PDF to Word - Please help urgently
From: Yechiel Kapiloff <yechielk -at- meridian-tt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:44:34 +0300

Raveena,

Some more comments:

The big drawback of Drake seems to be that it converts the text flow into
small text boxes (which I doubt you want) instead of one continuous flow.

The best alternative -- if you set up a good template and are fast at
applying styles -- would be to set the View of your PDF file at
"continuous," select the Text Select Tool and "Select All" (Ctrl+A), then
copy/paste the text into a Word doc.

The above method will preserve some formatting such as relative size and
bolding. However, you will have to remove the carriage return at the end of
each line (find and replace) and insert the correct paragraph breaks.

This is assuming that the text is "live." (not rasterized). If it is not,
you will have to convert it using the Capture Pages... function (under
Tools/Paper Capture). Warning: I have found that this function often freezes
if you select too much text at once.

I doubt that one person can manage the conversion of 400 pages in one day.
But if you have a little help from your friends, you might make it.

Yechiel Kapiloff

Raveena,

You might want to try the demo of BCL's Drake (ver. 4 or 5) depending on
which (full version of) Acrobat you are using (Reader is not enough).

The output file is RTF. Vector graphics are not supported.

The demo will convert odd pages only and works for 30 days. The program
exists for PC Windows platforms only.

See http://www.planetpdf.com/ for more info and other programs.

All the best,

Yechiel Kapiloff