Re: Is IT growth slowing?

Subject: Re: Is IT growth slowing?
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:40:40 -0400

Geoff wrote:
<<Yet when you hit a certain point in the evolution of a product, the
software does everything you need to do, and it makes no sense to upgrade.
(snip) I resist that pressure, but it's a conscious decision. I suspect many
MIS managers are also learning to resist the pressure.>>

And then David wrote:
<<And, as long as the hardware still reads those records there is little
reason to switch. I know that I skip RoboHelp versions. RH costs are usually
out of whack with the benefit it provides.>>

I've lived by this philosophy (not upgrading for no good reason) for quite
some time now (I'm still happily using DreamWeaver 2). However, resisting
the urge is becoming harder and harder when you can't control the rest of
the market (i.e., your users/clients). For example, I saw absolutely no good
reason to throw another $500. at the e-Help people for the latest version of
RoboHelp--then came Netscape 6. To have your RoboHelp WebHelp project
display at all in Netscape 6, you HAVE to buy the upgrade to v9.1 (and guess
what, our users are using Netscape 6). So that's the main reason I think
people can't resist and have to upgrade--to stay compatible with the rest of
the market. If you're running Word 4 and a client sends you a Word 2000
file, what are you gonna do? Even if software companies made their products
more backward compatible, they won't have ESP and be able to see what kind
of crap Netscape will dream up for its next release ;)

/Kelly Williamson
Columbus, OH