RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:52:42 -0400

At 09:37 AM 5/1/2001 -0700, John Posada wrote:

I only ask this because I did something similar to this. I
interviewed on Friday, they asked about it...I said I knew it (I
lied...so shoot me), I went home and ordered it for Sat delivery, by
Monday I was at the job and productive.

To me, this paragraph thoroughly answers the "tools" question once and for all. If you can't learn quickly, you shouldn't be in this field to begin with, right? So go out and learn anything you have to that's required to get a job, either before or after you say you know it...

For those who have issues with this kind of lie, I'd suggest mentally shifting into "documentation mode" as you describe your skill set. Remember, we always write in the present tense... You can say under your breath "When you click Start for my position in your company," and continue out loud with "I know FrameMaker, Word, and DreamWeaver."

----->Mike