RE: New tech writer employment tips?

Subject: RE: New tech writer employment tips?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:17:22 +0100

Paul Strickberger is >looking for that first break into the tech writing
field. I've taken a tech com class, learned HTML, Framemaker (I already know
Word very well),
Acrobat, and WebWorks Publisher. I've designed a web site
(www.primeimpression.com) and written a brief software user manual. I am
also active in my local STC
chapter.<

But can you type? <g> Sorry, old joke.

> Most jobs advertised specify at least 3 years of experience. I would be
interested to hear people's stories about how they got into the field and
any resources that might pertain to Junior Tech Writers. Any and all tips,
ideas, and suggestions are welcome!<

The only advice I can offer is - work cheap. <g> I wrote off to a *lot* of
jobs (setting myself a target of at minimum 1 job app per day). I got some
advice on redesigning my CV, on how to write a good application letter, on
how to make the most of what you *have* done at an interview - all of which
are pretty culturally specific, so I won't waste your time with the details.
But what finally tipped the scale was that I was willing to work for *way*
less than the market rate: that's how I got my first job. After a year
there, I moved on, and this time job agencies would actually look at my CV
and advise me on what specific companies were looking for, because (a) I was
employed (b) I had "one year's experience".

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.