RE Contracting and Temp Agencies

Subject: RE Contracting and Temp Agencies
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:50:24 -0600

Subject: Contracting and Temp Agencies
From: "Tommy Green" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:58:37 -0500
X-Message-Number: 9

> I am faced with a recent situation and I need something that I'm
sure all of us tech writer-> types have plenty opinion and
some advice. I just interviewed for an Oil and Gas
> company and I'm very interested in working there. Now, I am trying
to go independent
> and wanted to do so here but, they told me I need to have the "2
million dollar" insurance
> and suggested I go through a temp agency, and gave me a list.

> Now, I have never worked for a temp agency and personally don't like
the idea of
> someone else making money off of my work. I don't need benefits,
just money. However,
> is there a way I can get my own insurance? This is something like
Workers Comp
> insurance or being bonded, I'm not sure. I plan to make more phone
calls today and find > out.

> If anyone out there has experienced this please let me know the best
> of action.

You should be able to get insurance through the same company that
provides your home insurance. Give your broker a call.

Clarify with the company that what they want is errors and omissions
insurance, or simply a contractor's package. (There is a difference
in price.) If the deal with the company is they will review all work
you submit for accuracy, then contactor's may be enough.

Note: It is *not* the same as workers' compensation--at least it
isn't in my part of the world. Some kind of contractor's or errors
and omissions insurance is different from WCB. Also, depending on how
your local WCB people work, you may be able to get the company you are
working for to cover that. (As a related aside, up here, you can be
considered self employed by the tax people for tax purposes, and
considered an employee by the WCB people for workers' comp. So you
might want to check into that.)

Both are different, to my understanding anyway, from being bonded.


*** Deva(tm) Tools for Dreamweaver and Deva(tm) Search ***
Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems
Available now at or info -at- devahelp -dot- com

Sponsored by Information Mapping, Inc., a professional services firm
specializing in Knowledge Management and e-content solutions. See or 800-463-6627 for more about our solutions.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: Re: New tech writer employment tips?
Next by Author: Re: Contracting and Temp Agencies
Previous by Thread: RE Word 97 to Word 2000
Next by Thread: RE: Writers face prison in Russia

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads