RE: Monster.com in Europe?

Subject: RE: Monster.com in Europe?
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:49:53 -0600

If you meet someone "official" from a small company, this could be done
under the table. (Petty) cash. But don't expect anything even semi-official.
Kiss the big companies good-bye.

Permits actually become a secondary issue getting you in trouble. The
primary issue is payment of taxes. Something as small as a money transfer
into your account from a company is the beginning of a trail that **will
be** explored by the tax auditor to get you and that company in trouble.
(You thought the IRS was bad? Ha!)

You might not get caught because you'll be gone. But the company most
assuredly would be eventually. The penalty is high enough for reputable
companies not even to consider anything even on the fringes of legality when
it comes to foreign workers.

If you have an official business set up in the states before you go and if
it isn't called "Kelly Lewis's Business" (so as not to appear like they're
paying an individual), you could sneak under the radar. However, you have to
go all the way in incorporating yourself, because limited liability and
S-Corporations are restricted from doing international commerce.

Also, make sure the effort is worthwhile in terms of payment. European
companies prefer wiring money over checks (ha!) or cash. Trying to get money
wired to you in the States subjects you to bank fees coming and going. We're
talking getting dinged $50 for each transaction by the time both ends take
their piece. If all you're making for a small project is $500 (relatively
tax free), that is a significant ding. If you have a European account, such
fees are reduced... but they generally look at your passport and permits and
expect a local address.

Write me off-list if you want more scary stories and advice. Also, I should
say that my experience is mostly with the Germans, Austrians, and Swiss. The
French, Dutch, Italians, and Belgiums might not be as hard nosed, but they
aren't far off. Spain and Portugal or places East of Germany (Czech
Republic, Poland, Russia) will be different.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com