RE: from Word 97 to Word 2000

Subject: RE: from Word 97 to Word 2000
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 06:36:11 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with David that the article does not support
galleries as wonderful. It just explains it. My
support of Steve was not an implicit support of
galleries numbering (at least I didn't intend that).
I was just agreeing that his original post was not a
"work-around."

I look forward to using David's SEQ lesson, which I
printed out yesterday! Given that I have dozens of
"users" using galleries without realizing they are
using such a beast, I found the article I mentioned
VERY helpful in debugging these documents. My
co-workers do a LOT of cutting and pasting to create
their requirements and design documents, and they get
some scary results. Management has decided to enforce
the engineering numbering scheme (1.1.3.4.5 sorts of
paragraph numbers!), and the users (programmers,
business analysts) must wrestle with what was already
in place, which included multiple galleries, craziness
everywhere.

I'm wonder if the engineering numbering in combo with
SEQ would be easy to comprehend for users who are just
learning about the concept of "styles"). I will have
to try and see!

--- David Knopf <david -at- knopf -dot- com> wrote:
> True, yet somehow Steve is one of only about a half
> dozen people who's been
> able to figure this out.
<snip>
> I wonder, really, if one should have to read a
> thirty page white paper in
> order to find out how to make a simple numbered
> list. <snip>
<snip> <snip>
> His point is that all the gallery stuff is there to
> make life easier for the
> casual user. It doesn't seem to have that effect.
> But in any case,
> professional users should be using field-based
> numbering -- i.e., SEQ
> fields -- as I recommended earlier.

=====
Joy Beer