Word .dot files

Subject: Word .dot files
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- idd-solutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:36:35 -0400

Hi all,

I'm working on a project where I've inherited a document with a template that has a very complex styles. There are other developers on the same project who are working on other parts. Everyone is starting with files that were created with a single template.

At a past job, we made a big deal about making sure that everyone had the .dot file for the project on their computer. At this job it seems that the team is simply using the files that were formatted with the .dot file. I can see what it is named when I do Tools/templates and add-ons. No one seems to be concerned about the actual template file. I've just spent 3 hours searching MS site and www.mvps.org site trying to find out if/why is is valuable to have .dot file on one's own computer. Obviously it would be if there was one person "owning" styles for a project and everyone needed to be using the same styles. Is there any other reason? How is it that MS Word "carries" the template with the file, but doesn't actually have a copy of it?

Thanks for your expertise.

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD-Solutions
Technical training integrated with the job

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- idd-solutions -dot- com
Silver Spring, MD