RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)

Subject: RE: tool nonsense (gearing up to be a tech writer)
From: Anne Robotti <Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:34:42 -0400

> As far as trying to get the employers to change their
> requirements, I say that as long as they are writing
> the checks, it's their prerogative to decide what they want.
> If their policies are not in their best business
> interests, then market factors will eventually catch up to them.

I've also always felt that a job interview was my opportunity
to convince an employer of how fast I could ramp up to whatever
they were using. I got my first job as a tech writer by talking
the woman into the fact that in a week I'd be all the way up to
speed on Frame. And it was true.

Another thing, kind of in the opposite direction, is that I've
used job interviews to weed out companies with completely
backward-thinking policies. For example, if they're talking
about a giant project with several long manuals, and I know in
my head that I want the FrameMaker book function to do that, I
absolutely ask about the availability of Frame and the possibility
of acquiring it. If they tell me they're set on doing it in a
tool that I don't think I can succeed with, and they have no
plans to acquire a different tool, that might not be the job
for me.

Anne