Ever expanding word docs?

Subject: Ever expanding word docs?
From: "Mark Emson" <mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 22:14:14 +0100

Does anyone know of a fix for MS Word documents that just keep on growing?

E.g. you create a document and save it. Its size is 100K
Later, you open the doc again, add something and the size increases to 105K.
Later still you decide to take the addition out and stick with the first
draft but when you save it, it has grown again to 110K. WHYYYYYY!

I've just reduced a 2000K file down to 190k by cutting and pasting it to
notepad, back into word and then re-applying the chosen styles.
Similarly if I copy the doc and then past it into a new blank template the
file size reduces by a few K. It carries on shrinking each time the action
is carried out.

Is there a simple fix to stop this multiplication of nothing? I haven't
tried it yet but I assume that if you keep on adding, saving, taking away,
saving, adding, saving etc, you could have a completely blank document that
doesn't contain any text at all!

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark Emson.
mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com