Re: The softening marketplace

Subject: Re: The softening marketplace
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 21:14:15 -0400

On 05/09/2001 12:07 AM, Suzanne Pyle (comline -at- greennet -dot- net) wrote:

>How are you experiencing the softening of the marketplace in your region? I
>am hearing reports that we won't see a rebound until 4th quarter. How has
>this affected your ability to find work as a consultant?

The "softening of the marketplace" is not affecting most of the people I
know in high tech. Last year at this time there was a big shortage of
good people; those jobs weren't filled. The people I know who are laid
off are mostly filling those vacant jobs, so it's more of a
shuffling-about of people than mass unemployment. My consultant friends
are working as much, if not more, than ever, because the companies laying
people off still need to get the work done.

Given the companies that are folding, I'd say the market's catching up
more than softening. My only regret is that we won't have as much free
stuff online and at trade shows as we have in the recent past.

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman