Re: Survey: how do you use PDFs

Subject: Re: Survey: how do you use PDFs
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:54:48 -0400

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> > > Regarding PDFs. I don't like 'em.
> >
> > I agree, though I'd state it more strongly. I detest attempts to pretend
> > PDF is a usable online documentation format. It is a print format which
> > can, at a pinch, be read online.
> >
> Oh, I disagree completely. By formatting your PDFs for the screen, by
> chunking your information appropriately, by using hypertext navigation, by
> creating specific navigation elements in your PDF, and by using features
> that enhance the doc, such as rollovers and pop-ups, PDF can most certainly
> be a very usable and useful online format!

Yes, though only a vanishingly small proportion of PDF docs I've seen do that.
Also, if you're going to do that, why not just either use HTML (and convert
to PDF when required with the free htmldoc utility from www.easysw.com) or
use a format that supports both PDF and HTML output from a single source?

> > > They're the most difficult things online to read online. Invariably they
> > > arrive fuzzy and poorly sized for the screen. (You can't size things for
> > > every screen with PDF, I don't believe.)
> >
> > I think the error is sizing things at all, rather than leaving to the user
> > and the browser to make it fit an available window.
> >
> I am not sure to what you refer.

Not to restart a Holy War, but I want things like page size, font choice, etc.
to be under the control of the user, the application or the stylesheet. I think
having the writer control those, beyond setting reasonable defaults, is a serious
error.

[snip]

> If you distribute printed documentation, and the subject of that
> documentation changes, ...
>
> PDFs can be conveniently downloaded to replace existing PDF documentation.
> In the case of software, the PDF can be updated automatically ...

Yes, PDF is a wonderful means of delivering print documentation online,
anything from a printable form that you want signed and FAXed or sent
back by snail mail to a full product documentation suite.