RE: translating English online help to French?

Subject: RE: translating English online help to French?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:22:25 +0100

Dianne Moscrip:
>Are there any easy ways to translate the entire online help files from
>English to French? We currently use RoboHelp Classic. Suggestions?

I am tempted to say, unhelpfully, that where translation is concered there
are easy methods and there are good methods but never both. Hire a
professional translator.

You can make the translator's job easier (and your bill shorter) by making
sure that all the text that is to be translated in your documents is in
clear, non-colloquial English: one way to test that is to run it through a
machine translator such as AltaVista's Babel Fish from English to French and
back to English. If it is garbled by that process, you need to do some
editing for clarity and possibly to remove culturally-specific words and
turns of phrase.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Other translation sites:

http://www.babelfish.com/Translations.shtml

HTH,

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.