RE: Survey: how do you use PDFs

Subject: RE: Survey: how do you use PDFs
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:37:38 -0600

There are apples and oranges and we often do both. That is, the recommended
"ergonomics" of a document to read on a computer screen are different than
those for a document to be read printed on paper.

PDF is the Internet standard for transmitting printable documents. I use it
as my "printer friendly version" mechanism. Some responding to this thread
have termed pdf difficult to read on a computer screen, but that's the fault
of the author more than anything. A pdf document could successfully be
designed for screen reading, but then it probably wouldn't look so good
printed out--and it would be silly because, once you know html, you'll know
it's less work.

If you really must stay with forms on paper, pdf is great for that. It's
more user-friendly, though, to make html forms and automate the submission
process. Electronic signatures are here. Macros have always been available
with Word, etc., but the Web is forcing even more writers to become
programmers too--it's programming to make an html form.

I think the best approach is html for screen reading and pdf for printed
matter reading (transmitted by Internet). On days when I am feeling
especially grouchy, I'd term someone "lazy" who tried to do both with one
tool.

A more interesting survey question might be: How many regularly make two
versions of their documents: one for screen reading, and one for printed
paper reading?