RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:18:19 -0400

Y'know, a couple of weeks ago, when I bought a
brand new computer... and stuff... I thought I'd
finally achieve that exalted state where one picks
up a manual, follows instructions, and has a
working product.

<whine>
Instead, I found myself doing the usual:
I read as much of the manuals/setup-sheets as I
needed, to determine that they didn't describe my
situation.

I'd made it a point to buy a few items with USB
interfaces, because USB is fast, chainable,
hot-swappable, plug'n'play, etc. Well, *eventually*,
the USB modem deigned to work, but through no fault
of the instructions. The USB trackball began by
refusing to go along with the package instructions,
but eventually cooperated... but only after Windoze
loads... not until then. I thought it a tad redundant
to have to keep a PS/2 mouse on call, for anything
that needed doing before the Windows desktop was
available. You'd think that, since USB is supported
at the board and BIOS level, a trackball could
come up with minimal mouse-like functions, and then
take on its grander aspects once the Windoze drivers
had loaded... but, apparently not when it's USB.
So, I added the handy adapter and started using the
good, ole, PS/2 port. Works like a charm.

Thank god I didn't go for a USB keyboard. I'd never
again be able to adjust BIOS, or recover to Safe Mode,
or.... Whatever the problem was, the local docs didn't
mention it, and neither the manufacturer's nor the
Microsloth web sites were very helpful.

The slim little Windoze book that came with OEM
Win98 offered no help with anything even remotely
like the many problems I encountered.

In the internet connection setup stuff, any explanation
(in book or in online "help" was invariably not
about my situation.

The AOPEN NIC was pretty straightforward about its
needs -- plug it in, connect a cable and it works --
but the booklet somehow neglected to mention that
AOPEN NICs do not like to play nicely with other NICs
in the same machine... not even other AOPEN NICs.
On the other hand, my third NIC (non-AOPEN) was
purring contentedly while the AOPEN was:
a) not purring and,
b) not (via driver/software nor via booklet) telling
me why it was unhappy.

Documentation for WinGate was all very nice, except
that it didn't make a point of telling me to ask
for cross-connected category-5 cable (for PC-to-PC)
rather than straight-through (for PC to hub/router/gateway
device).

That one dawned on me as an "oh-sh*t! don't tell me I..."
in the middle of the night after I'd paid for a custom
length to span three floors and had worried and fretted
and re-loaded for hours. Hmm. Get out my old crimper
and re-do one end of the cable with cross connections?
Nah. I don't have a tester, so I wouldn't be able to
eliminate a bad crimp from the cause of my next debacle.
Solved the problem by shelving WinGate, going to bed,
and buying a D-Link box the next morning. Mah-velous.

Of course, Windoze had me going in circles for a while,
trying to figure out how to make IE view the D-Link's
built-in web pages, rather than dial out. Figured that
out eventually, but not from anything found in paper
or online documentation.

Note to myself: If I ever write a "Wizard", it will
explain the why-fors of every step and option... and
then it'll get UPDATED when I hear about the situations
I missed explaining. It won't be cast in stone until the
next product is released.

Anyway, any grief there was no fault of the D-Link, nor
of its documentation (a multi-page booklet, AND and big
fold-out "quick-set-up" sheet. Neither one was necessary
to get started (defaults were fine), and the instructions
were clear and concise when I did want to make adjustments.
A breath of documentation fresh air. I will emulate, in
my own work.

I can't be the only person who ever went from:
- single computer with dial-up internet connection
- a few computers, sharing files and sharing a DSL
connection.
Can I?

You'd think there'd be a FAQ and a chapter in at least
one hardware or software manual for that very situation.

Mind you, while some of the dozens of problems I
encountered were solved by a bit of thought and
prodding, and a few were "Oh yeah, I knew that...
but I'd forgotten...", a few were real headbangers.
Overall, it took literally many days to get things
going the way I want them, and documentation either
did not address what I was doing, or worse.

"Worse" is when it *mostly* addressed my situation,
then left out a key piece of information.
Many times, I found myself attempting to cross chasms
in two leaps.

Initially, I was taking notes, but that soon lost its
charm. (Might have had something to do with recording
the same procedural loops over and over and ...)
For most of the PC problems, I wasn't in a position
to access the internet for help, so I was left to my
own devices and the paltry documentation/help that
came with most products.

So, I guess when I get around to doing it again in
four or five years, I'll have forgotten most of
what I figured out this time, and there'll be a
new crop of gotchas for new hardware and software
that I haven't met, yet. Shall we wager on how helpful
the docs and "Help" will be in five years?

This, from a guy who was once a computer technician
on the production floor.

I guess computers still haven't achieved "appliance"
status.</whine>

Maybe someday, I'll persuade Flight Simulator that
my old Logitech Wingman Digital exists... that'd be
the Wingman whose driver is installed and whose icon is
in the task bar, and whose software thinks it is
installed. But, that's for another whine.

/kevin