Re: The Bunny Hop

Subject: Re: The Bunny Hop
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 05:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Tipple <MTipple -at- provair -dot- com> wrote:

> What's everyone's take on job-hopping? Does anyone have any personal
> experiences to share?

Personally, I hate it when jobs hop around so much. I wish they would stay in
one place for awhile. You go into a situation and get used to the people, the
product, the environment, the whole situation. You get your life organized
around the whole package that is that job. And then it hops away. Most
annoying! <g>

Seriously, a lot of so-called job hopping relates to jobs not being as
advertised during the interview process. And a lot of times, particularly in a
large organization, the right hand doesn't even know it HAS a left hand, let
alone what the left is doing. You get hired into an organization and the next
week it reorganizes and you're either out of a job or suddenly in a job that's
different than what you signed up for or working for someone you NEVER would
have worked for if you had interviewed with that person up front.

Besides, the way the economy and organizations have evolved in the past ten to
fifteen years, job changing has become expected. You can't count on being with
the same organization throughout your working career, so I don't think
organizations look on it as a negative, if they ever did. Now you can tout your
breadth of experience as well as your depth of knowledge in any given area.

I think the time of looking at someone as a job hopper and considering that a
negative are gone.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer