RE: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts

Subject: RE: Interviewing Subject Matter Experts
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:07:58 -0400

Hallo:

Along the same lines, I ran into a situation recently where a TW was
updating some software documentation to a new version without having the
software in question installed. I was quite surprised to learn that, I never
have before, but from this thread, am I correct in assuming this is common?

In the case I mention, I think the TW was relying on the SME for pretty much
everything and when I asked why not run the software (and offered to provide
it) I was told there was no time to and why bother since the SME approved
everything. I did assert that even good SMEs are not in the business of
presenting material in the best way for a particular audience, or that SMEs
are often too close to the forest to see the trees, but I think my thoughts
were not enthusiastically received. I went on to question a particular item
in the doc, which eventually resulted in a non-functional feature being
removed from the software, which affected both the GUI and the
documentation.

My point is that I suppose there are TWs out there who just pound out docs
based on what they are told, though I have no idea how you can create
original content that way. However, until this point, I had considered that
rare. I had always thought using and learning (quickly) about the item you
were documenting was the best, nay, only way to effectively communicate the
subject in a way that is understandable to any target audience.

And, FWIW, I have frequently run into those whose comfort level with Word's
workflow has lead them to conclude FrameMaker is garbage. I have found that
I can pretty much use any tool I am presented with, sure I have a favorite,
but the specific tool is at least secondary to the goal of production.

Cheers,

Sean Brierley
Adobe® Certified Expert
Quadralay WebWorks® Wizard <g>