Re: Resume Writing

Subject: Re: Resume Writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:24:13 -0700

Kelly Williamson wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I am curious....do many of you write resumes as part of your job? I am
> starting to do more and more "corporate resumes" as part of my job and was
> wondering if this is a standard thing for tech writers to do (I don't feel
> very confident at it, though I've been doing a pretty good job, as I don't
> see it as my area of expertise.) If you do corporate resumes (and by
> corporate resume, I mean converting the candidate's regular resume into the
> corporate format, sprucing it up, and adding flowery summary paragraphs),
> about how long does it take you to put one together, working just from the
> information given to you by the candidate, as well as some interviewer
> notes?

In my experience, this is a fairly standard task. Biographies are often
used for web sites, business plans, year end reports, and other types of
corporate communication.

I usually ask the subject of a biography for a resume, and a summary of
relevant experience that might not show up on a resume. For example,
many people working in Linux have worked on an open source project,
which might not necessarily show up on a resume. I also ask whether the
subject wants any personal information mentioned; people differ on
whether they want it included, but I find that a sentence or two at the
end adds a personalizing touch.

Once I have the notes, I can usually write a 100 to 200 word biography
in about half an hour. Then I send it to the subject for sign off, then
make a few minor revisions. If I include collecting notes and revisions,
the whole process usually takes me a little more than an hour.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway -
Whatever it is, I'm against it."
- Groucho Marx in "Horsefeathers"