RE: Knowledge Base Design

Subject: RE: Knowledge Base Design
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:44:53 -0500

OK...once again...

As I said, I wasn't speaking specifically to the knowledge base request. If I'm a librarian, a SIGNIFICANT part of the JOB of being a librarian is responding to requests for help. My ex-wife set up a huge technical library and was THE technical librarian for a large oil company. Geologists, geophysicists, engineers would ALWAYS come up to her desk and ask her to find such-and-such book when the directions for using the library system were posted on all 4 walls in large print. These were scientists whose jobs largely consisted of DOING RESEARCH, yet when they walked into the library, all that knowledge and training went out the door. Yes, this was a large library, but weren't not talking hallways and antechambers...just one big room.

No, there's nothing wrong about asking others' opinions about a good book on a subject. I go to Amazon.com and read the reviews of books I'm interested in and so do a lot of other people. If I don't find what I'm looking for, I may search on another engine OR I may even ask this list...but I don't jump to the list first! I do my own research first, then, if unsuccessful, I expand that research.

Look, I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest (that's been done before). If people can let us know what they've already tried or looked into, that helps the rest of us provide a more focused response.