RE: Go (Was Respect)

Subject: RE: Go (Was Respect)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:07:38 +0100

>A fellow Go player who's also a tech writer. Much, much respect!

Excellent! Me too.

I first got into playing Go when I was 17 or 18, and just old enough to join
the University Go club - where most of the players were postgraduate
(graduate) students. I succeeded in a couple of games against players who
were better than me because they took it for granted that they could beat me
easily without paying much attention.

Link to tech writing: always pay attention. And: sometimes you can make
great gains while other people are openly underestimating what you can do.

>As a Go player/tech writer, your goal isn't to deny life for your opponent.
>You'll die trying. Your goal is simply to have more life at the end of the
>game (when the release date arrives) than the other.

Excellent analogy. Another analogy: I find when playing Go (and when showing
others how to play) that you do better when not trying to think "How can I
defeat my opponent?" but "How can I create the best possible pattern on the
board with the other player's unwitting assistance?"

Jane Carnall
"Go not to the technical writers for counsel, for they will tell you to
RTFM."