Re: Corporate TWs - Are We Billable?

Subject: Re: Corporate TWs - Are We Billable?
From: Tony Rocco <tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:02:55 -0700

I used to be the lone writer for an engineering consulting firm that did corporate intranets and e-commerce web sites. We provided a system reference for each site we engineered. We charged a flat rate per book - they all took about the same time - unless the client wanted some custom documentation or additional books like an administration guide. Then I made a rough estimate and they were billed accordingly, at a rate of close to $200 per hour.

Tony

At 11:40 AM 5/21/2001 -0400, Richard Metzger wrote:

This one's for Doc Department Managers...ones working for companies that
customize their solutions.

How many of you run a billable department? Does your documentation
department generate revenue? If so, what's your model/plan?

I'm looking into this topic, and I greatly appreciate all input. Thanks in
advance...

Rich

O, for a life of sensations rather than of thoughts!

- John Keats, poet