RE: Docs for profit

Subject: RE: Docs for profit
From: "Lumsden, John (GSP)" <LumsdenJ -at- gspinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:49:56 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote...

My firm lives off profits from documentation. We are an service
provider.
Companies outsource documentation projects (or their entire doc
department) to
us. Without profit, we'd collapse. So in a sense, we are the purest
form of a
"for profit" documentation department.

Our model is simple: whatever the customer/client wants, we deliver.
If they
want us to violate the ten commandments of technical writing or
whatever, we do
it with a smile. Because like you said, "he who pays the piper gets
to call the
tune."

Andrew,

Even though you're an independent business, you're just like my department
in that you provide a service. My idea is to provide a product. As the Tech
Comm Manager, I would be in charge of developing that product to the best of
my professional capability, just like the widget project manager is in
charge of developing his product to the best of his professional capability.
We'd both take input from each other and various interested parties, but in
the end, make our own decisions about the best way to implement. Am I being
delusional?

John Lumsden
Manager of Technical Communications
Gerber Scientific Products