RE: Is a bad index better than no index?

Subject: RE: Is a bad index better than no index?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:06:23 +0100

>Anyway, my question is, is it better to create an index that isn't great
(due
>to my lack of an indexer's skill), or to leave the document without one?

I asked the very same question (for much the same reason) on Index-L, the
list for professional indexers, and (stripping off some snide but justified
comments on how come management weren't prepared to pay a professional
indexer to do a *really* good job) overwhelmingly, they responded that
almost any index, so long as it isn't actually misleading, is better than
none.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.