RE: Combining two help files to a single one

Subject: RE: Combining two help files to a single one
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:57:22 -0600

Servus Winfried,

(Wegen anderen Leute auf der Liste schreibe ich auf Englisch...)

David Knopf's suggestion about using Mif2Go is certainly a good one.
However, what is the goal? Do you need to maintain the integrity of the
individual help files?

For example, if you have two (or more) programs in a suite that each have
their own help files, you wouldn't want to just combine them. They would
still need to be called with their own names from their associated programs.
However, they could relate to one another in that you would want to know
about the features of the other program from the help files.

To do this latter option:

1) Choose one of the CNT files to be the master. (It can be retain its name,
but I'll call it "master.cnt" to clarify it.)
2) Add an include statement to the master CNT for the other CNT file.
Something like ":include other.cnt". This needs to be placed where it makes
the most logical sense.
3) In the HPJ file for the both help file, change the "cnt=" statement from
"CNT=other.cnt" to "CNT=master.cnt".
4) Recompile the help.

Now, whenever you start up the help for one program, the table of contents
and index will reflect entries from both.

Fragen? Stehe ich gerne zur Verfügung.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com