Re: Machine Translation

Subject: Re: Machine Translation
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:45:57 -0400

Miriam McGinty-Lowe wrote:

> I've been reading the recent threads on translation with interest, and was
> wondering if anyone has any suggestions for my problem:
>
> My company has just taken on a new customer with operations in Norway, Denmark,
> Sweden, the Netherlands and Germany. We don't have to translate much of our
> It has been suggested translation software could be used by the development
> department as a filter before they pass the information that absolutely must be
> translated by a native speaker to our translation company. Its a cost cutting
> exercise - they (obviously) don't want to pay for the translation of a piece of
> paper that doesn't give any working information.
>
> I don't think the translation memory systems that have been discussed are right
> in this instance - the programmers just want a quick and dirty estimation of the
> contents of the document (I think someone in the archives refered to it as
> 'gisting')

I think you will find that most translation software misses nuances of
language that could come back to be embarrassing. I suggest that you
include back translating as part of your evaluation routine. As to not
using your Sales manager, that is a correct decision. His job is to
sell, not translate. If he/she is like most sales people it would not
work.

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig
you soon realize they both like it
mailto:peternew -at- home -dot- com