RE: NORMAL vs BODY styles

Subject: RE: NORMAL vs BODY styles
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:48:09 -0600

In my experience "prettying up" other people's Word documents, there are
only two types of styles that get used: "normal" and "abnormal". If that
isn't bad enough, the truly abnormal styles in the document are usually
named "normal".

The first thing I usually do when encountering the abnormal "normal" styles
is to define new styles for each new occurrance of formatting. Then I search
on the "normal" style and replace with the appropriate new style.

Microsoft should have removed all confusion early on and named it
"abnormal", because nine times out of ten it's screwed up and anything else
with the same name is probably abnormal in a different way causing further
abnormalities in the document.

("Why can't I get my numbering and bullets to work?" My answer usually
points to the "normal" style. This usually serves to further confuse them,
because they think that this screwed-up abnormality is, as the name implies,
"normal" for Word.)

If they would have done us the favor of naming it "abnormal," then at least
we would have a clue that whatever formatting it has isn't normal. It would
have inspired us to get rid of all abnormalities by giving it a normal
meaningful name.

Another good thing about "abnormal" is that it starts with "A" so will sort
before the other styles.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com