Re: What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: Re: What is This Functionality Called?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:13:47 -0700

"Carol Anne T. Wall" wrote:

> Question: What do you call the function where you type a letter and the
> first item in your combo box that corresponds to that letter displays. If
> you select that letter again, the next item with that same letter displays,
> if there is a second item in your list. The users want this functionality
> documented, but it's hard to document something you can't name.

In the BASH shell in Linux, this is called "tab completion" ,because you
press the Tab key to get possible completions.

Maybe "auto-completion" would work in this context?

Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"You've got the might but you've got no right,
We'll be there, we'll be there, we'll be there."


*** Deva(tm) Tools for Dreamweaver and Deva(tm) Search ***
Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems
Available now at or info -at- devahelp -dot- com

Sponsored by Information Mapping, Inc., a professional services firm
specializing in Knowledge Management and e-content solutions. See or 800-463-6627 for more about our solutions.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: Re: Getting input into the style guide
Next by Author: Re: What is This Functionality Called?
Previous by Thread: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
Next by Thread: Re: What is This Functionality Called?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads