Re: Help with Salary Negotiations - Canada

Subject: Re: Help with Salary Negotiations - Canada
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:12:29 -0700

Darren Barefoot wrote:

> I hate to be a Check-the-Archives-Moloch, but if you'd gone to
> http://www.documentation.com/archives/searcharchives.asp?sc=/techwrit_record
> s and typed "Canadian salary", you'd have found my posting from about 8
> months ago which provides anecdotal information on this very subject. Use it
> in conjunction with the very useful (if slightly low-ball) STC salary
> survey.

Darren is probably too modest to say so, but his figures seem much
closer to reality than the STC's, even though they are based on much
less data. For some reason, the STC figures have always been on the low
side. The reason may be that senior writers are less likely to be active
if they belong at all.

But all I know for sure is that my salary (to say nothing of those of
the writers who will tell me such personal details) has always been at
least 10% higher than the STC survey would predict.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Ordinary people...are nothing without the ordinary truth, nothing at
all. They die without it: without innocence or candour. Indeed the very
great majority kill themselves long long before their time. Live as
children; grow pale as adolescents; show a flash of life in love; die in
their twenties and join the poor creatures that creep angry and restless
about the earth."
-Patrick O'Brian, "H.M.S. Surprise"